Monday, March 29, 2010

The Write Bite

The Write Bite is dedicated to my on going quest to find and write about the my journey through the culinary world. I fearlessly challenge myself to have a new culinary experience and write about. This will be an interesting little experiment. Recently, I have been experimenting with new fruits and veggies. Here are a few of my recent stories.
I have thus far tried cardoons. It ended up being a 3 week long love affair. I broke it off due to wanted to try new veggies. Cardoons will always hold a spot in my heart for their yucky celery but taste like a glorious artichoke but easier to eat and slightly easier to prepare. With some research they seem to be high in potassium and calcium and low in calories. I have them roasted with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, I tried them parmesan style with sauce and cheese. After, that I had one more experiment. I did the traditional au gratin with whole wheat bread crumbs and asiago cheese. That was by far the stinkiest. I'm pretty sure my curtains still smell like asiago. My favorite was the parmesan.
Last week was mustard greens. Well, they were very sandy and I was very sleepy while cooking them which resulted in very gritty chickpeas. I decided on a balsamic glazed-chickpeas and-mustard greens recipe from fatfreevegan.com. It was definitely delicious, minus the sand, but I'm not sure mustard greens agree with me. The were a bit spicy, well just like the actual yellow stuff but could have possibly had adverse affect. I have decided I will try them again because they are jam packed with all sorts of vitamin and super good for you. I think I might add them to a lasagna or something like that where I would use spinach but something that would balance the sharpness of them. Any suggestions?
This week is kohlrabi AND dandelion greens.... the looked lovely at the farmers market. I have no clue what to do with them. I tasted the dandelion greens when I got home they are very mild with a little bit of a bitter after taste. Salad lightly dressed with some lemon and olive oil might do them justice. As for the kohlrobi.... you will have to wait and see!

What are your favorite fruits and veggies?.. What should I try next?
Stay tuned, I'm also working on a low fat chocolate Almond cheesecake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment