Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lent vs. J. Crew Catalog

Winner: Jesus!
If I haven't just been blogging about dieting non-stop well now I'm bringing Jesus into it. I have decided to give up cloth shopping for lent, not including the hosiery desperately needed the other morning. I decided it will be a super positive in that I will have hopefully lost a bunch of weight, will need new clothes, save a little money and last but not least giving props to Jesus. To curb my anxiety as I thumbed through the March 2010 J. Crew catalog I have decided to review it! Here goes nothing.
Over all a pretty good one. Brightly muted sherbet colors, metal studding, deconstructed, raw edges, with the classic J style, updated of course, to make a sophisticated, fun and flirty combination that is sure to be a hit. I'm conflicted by the photography. Love that J is using really people but think that the studio time is not doing any justice to the sherbet color pallet. Not overly impressed with the day-to-day wears I did find some jewels.
Loving the Reese Gladiators with studs of course. Chocolate with studs... trendy yet done in a minimalist, timeless style. Super intrigued by the back zipper rather than traditional buckle. Will it rub or possibly break after ummm daily use? I'm seeing weekend survival shoe that can be dressed up or down while maintaining a comfortable, polished look.
The Fireball Cluster Necklace would be perfect combine with a crisp white deep v tee, vintage distressed denim, a favorite pair of peep toe pumps, and brunch with good friends. Samantha Brown once said that traveling essentials include a pair of good classic heels because they can dress up any outfit. I have since revised that to a good pair of wedges! Have you ever tried walking in stilettos on cobbles while drunk? Not easy or fun.
I'm an accessory whore with the belief that a good quality foundation wardrobe can be accessorized to be modern and trendy with out spending a fortune. I don't mind spending money on a classic cardigan, a pair of great fitting dark wash jeans or a classic epi leather purse. I digress, moving on while still whoring myself out. There is a great belt montage on page 16. Perfect accessory for a subtle pop of color and bling for everyday use. I recently, before lent, bought a hot pink and gold skinny belt. Super easy to wear with your favorite jeans, dress pant and dresses. Also, season-less for transitioning from winter to spring. Also, loving the Panama Hat and Crystal Corona Necklace combo on page 46.
Moving on from drooling at over priced accessories I found something worth the buck. Featherweight Cashmere Cardigans in 14 different colors... goody goody gum drops!!! I want one of each particularly the bright plum, heather dusk and deep chartreuse. Season-less, cheerful and great to grab "just in case" for the chilly spring nights.
I love J's swim suits. They have a great variety for every different shape. They are fully lined usually with a cute contrasting color and reasonably priced for the timeless look. They have some great retro ruched swim suits on page 71, but I prefer the ability to mix and match on pages 80-81. One of my favs is the Solid rosette halter but I would probably pair with a solid bottom maybe in deep peacock.
I will not go into mens, they must form their own opinions. That said, I'm excited to see what other fun patterns, I'm predicting more and more gold with more soft florals. I'm loving the sherbet color pallet and mixed with the rock, grunge edge.

Did you know that if you buy a pair of full price pants from J they will them for free. Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment