Sunday, February 7, 2010

Game Day Food!

I could not wait to share my lovely whole wheat pitas. They were super easy to make and how much fun to bake. They kind of look like that silver hot air balloon thing. HAHA I used a recipe that I found on Epicurious.com. I used all whole wheat instead of using the high gluten flour. I think they had enough gluten in them, what do you think?! (Please excuse the dirty oven.)
The recipe said it would puff up a little but to my surprise they look like little tasty balloons. I accidentally popped a few and they deflated... boo. If you let them cool with out letting the steam out they stay puffy. I will be serving them with an epic batch of roasted garlic hummus so I let the steam out of mine. So cute, so yummy.

I love making hummus. It's super easy, healthy and tasty. My basic hummus recipe.
1 can of chickpeas (or about 2 cups) drained and rinsed, reserve some of the liquid from the can to thin out the hummus to the right consistency.)
the juice of one lemon
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp Tahini (don't be scared of the tahini. It can be found in most grocery stores next to the peanut butter and will come in a can or a glass jar. It is a little pricey but will last in the fridge for quite a while, similar to peanut butter.)
It's a dump and blend recipe. How simple is that. Place all ingredients in they food processor and blend until smooth. I like to grate my garlic to make sure that there are not any large chunks floating around. Add salt to taste. The consistence should be that of thick sour cream or to your liking.

Last but not least I made baked falafel "pancakes" topped with fat-free tzatziki and Mediterranean salsa. Yumm... don't they look good? There's nothing better then a hot falafel sandwich but these come pretty close. A small bite packed with big flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment