Friday, January 29, 2010

Roasting Vegetables

Roasting vegetables can't be any easier. It is super delicious way to enhance almost any vegetables natural flavors while requiring very little prep and other ingredients. I start out with a preheated 425 degree oven. It takes about 14 min for my oven to preheat. In that time I am able to prep my veggies.

To prep the veggies I simply wash and trim all of the like veggies to a similar size so that they will all be done at the same time. For example, if I was roasting cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and parsnips. I would trim the cauliflower and broccoli to the same size. Then, I would trim the carrots and parsnips to the same size. I would cut the carrots and parsnips a little smaller than the cauliflower and broccoli because I want them to all be cooked at the same time. After cutting arrange on a baking sheet, two if needed, drizzle with olive oil, salt/pepper and put in the oven.

Roasting vegetable can be 15 min (for asparagas) to almost 2 hours (for a whole large beet.) Depending on how large or small you cut your veggies I would start checking them after 15-30 minutes. Similar to testing a boiled potato, you want to be able to insert a knife and have the veggie fall off. Do one stir and leave them to get nice and golden brown. If you are in a rush, last minute dinner guest, cut the veggies proportionally smaller, following the rule above, and they will cook faster. If you are not in a rush and are looking for a rustic, heartier feel or maybe just to fill out a plate leave them in larger pieces or whole.

Now that you have the basic recipe experiment with different veggies, seasonings and even fruit. Try throwing in some whole garlic cloves, skins on or off, in with broccoli, a little lemon zest on beets or a the classic rosemary on potatoes. If you own a mandoline try making root vegetable chips. They will be completely more satisfying than the store bought ones... Promise! HAPPY ROASTING!

What are your favorite vegetables to roast?

No comments:

Post a Comment