Saturday, August 22, 2009

Not So Basic Dog Food

1 part mixed veggies (carrots, edamame, green beans, corn, peas)
2 parts lean protein - I use chicken unless I can get venison (chicken, venison, lamb, beef)
3 parts whole grain - I use brown rice or bulgar wheat (bulgar, brown rice, whole grain pasta, rolled oats)

I make big bags of food and freeze it. It's just as easy as buying dog food but cheaper and much healthier.

I love my rice cooker. It has a steamer basket on top so while I'm the cooking rice I steam the veggies and meat on top. I can make about two weeks worth of food in it, but I also have a 7lb dog. This is super easy and the dogs LOVE. Chop up the veggies and meat into equal sized pieces depending the size of your dog. I use frozen veggies unless I have fresh on hand. Mix meat, veggies and rice on a baking sheet and freeze for 4-6 hours. Remove from freezer. Crumble into scoopable pieces and place in a freezer bag. You should be able to portion it out just like dry dog food with a scoop. I scoop and microwave for 30-60 seconds, depending on how much, and serve! To transition to homemade dog food. Mix half dry dog food and your mix. Gradually reduce the dry dog food.

No comments:

Post a Comment