Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Write Bite - Spring Harvest Cooking Class

It was a culinary cornucopia. I learn and tasted so many new thing this weekend. I occasionally take recreational classes at the Institute of Culinary Education in NYC. On Thursday; evening I took a Spring Harvest class. It was focused on local seasonal resources forming a fresh, healthful meal. I love the idea eating seasonally and supporting the local farmers.
I do find it a little challenged monetarily sometimes the small local growers are not the cheapest, but I'm working on sacrificing quantity for quality. Also getting to know the growers or being you're own grower helps. Or if you are not a green thumb having friends that are helps!
Back to class, this was perhaps my favorite class thus far. Not only did I get to experience some great new foods but Chef Sasso was amazing. His unbridled enthusiasm and passion for food was prevalent from the first words that came out if his mouth. (He wasn't bad on the eyes either.) I have taken several other classes before and none of the Chefs had shown such passion about food. I loved that he challenged us to sample the lardo on a piece of bread. Then, got the idea of adding some arugula, chili flakes and a touch of lemon. Lardo is basically cured pig fat that has been sliced thin. It is considered a salume and can be eat as such or added to a dish. We used it to top our asparagus salad with warm poached eggs. It really just melts in your mouth. I brought some home to serve as an app for my brothers birthday dinner later in the month. After all, he did get my the ICE gift certificates for Christmas. Love is giving the gift of cured pork fat!
Unfortunately, we didn't get to have the shad roe. I was most looking forward to trying that, but there were so many other wonderfully unique creations. I think the other classes I had taken were more traditional in the sense that they were teaching cultures and techniques where Spring Harvest was my favorite because opened my eyes up to completely new flavors and while honestly teaching me new techniques. It was a great combination of exciting new foods and life long techniques. Ok, my farmers market fillets fish to order, I'm lucky, but I learned how to fillet a fluke. I would love to go fishing and show off my new skills right on the boat. Wouldn't that be hot to see me filleting fresh fish on the open sea! haha. The best part about filleting the fluke was eating it as we were doing it. Sasso encouraged us to taste the fish sashimi style, none of the condiments needed. The fish was super fresh and delicious, such good energy in the room, so exciting.
Silly, but one of my arch enemies... the poached egg! I love them and order them out all the time but the daunting task of making them at home has always baffled and challenged my culinary skills. It is an egg braised in water till the whites are set and the yoke is runny. So simplistic, elegant and delicious yet challengingly impossible. Well, not any more. Who's coming over for poached eggs?! I love it. I made them this morning. Two for me and one for Frankie, yes my dog is spoiled. All you have to do is place some plastic wrap over a small prep bowl, spray with cooking spray, the pampered chef Kitchen Spritzer is perfect for this, crack the egg into the bowl, salt, another spritz of oil and gather all the sides and tie the top in a knot. Once you have all your egg bundles ready. Start a pot of water and grab a bowl to make an ice bath. Boil your egg bundles for about 5-6 min depending on how you like your eggs done. I'm a 5 minute girl. Immediately remove them from the boiling water and put into the ice bath or serve. They will last in the fridge for about a week so make extra for a quick special mid week breakfast treat. How easy and foolproof is that, brilliant!
Out of all the yummy food we ate like dandelion, fresh ricotta and pork belly with honey and citrus segments and monkfish medallions with creamed spinach and morels my favorite dish of the evening was curried beets and carrots with a lime coriander yogurt. It was a beautifully unique, fresh and inspiring dish. I really woke up and surprised my palette with  the contrasting sweet, sour and savory flavors. The sweet beets and carrots were delicately perfumed with the curry while the sour lime infused yogurt cut the sweetness balancing out the dish to perfection. I was put off by the whole coriander seeds at first. They are rather hard and crunchy but in true foodie form they grew on me. I have over come the texture to realized the immense burst of flavor they provided when you crunch into them.
Growing up with funky pickled beet and not knowing any better I am a recent convert to the beet craze. If you like Indian food this is definitely a great mild intro to the flavors of beets. I'm sure this is illegal but I am going to share the recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education and chef Anthony Sasso of Casa Mono.
I am planning a trip to Casa Mono on Saturday May 22nd if anyone wants to come along. Maybe chef Sasso will whip us up something special.


What is your favorite spring time dish?

___________

This salad would make a great side to chicken, steak or even fish. It would also be great served as a small plate or as a light lunch served on top of a bed of spicy arugula.

Curried Beets and Carrots with Lime Coriander Yogurt
serves 4
2-3 carrots, peeled
3 med/large beets (red, pink, yellow)
2 small shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
2 sprigs of thyme
1 TBSP of curry powder
2 limes
12 oz strained greek yogurt
1/2 TBSP of whole corianders seeds
1/2 bunch of mint
1/2 bunch of cilantro, picked

Bring a large pot of water, big enough to submerge the beets in, to a boil with a few handfuls of salt and the tyme. Add the beet and cook until tender or when you stick a paring knife in it barely starts to slide off the knife. Similar to a potato. Remove from liquid, peel and set aside. If the beets are perfectly cooked you can take an old, it will stain, cotton side towel (or i used paper towels) and rub the warm beets the skin should peel right off.
In the same water  blanch the carrots for 4-5 min or just until tender. do not over cook.
Add the zest and juice of  the limes, chopped mint, coriander seeds and salt/pepper to taste to the yogurt.
Dice the cooled beets and carrots uniformly. I like them just bite size maybe about a 1-2-in dice. Toss with the curry powder and salt/pepper to taste.
To serve, spread the yogurt onto to bottom of a serving plate. Mound the beet and carrot mixture in the center and sprinkle the cilantro on top.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment